Monday, May 7, 2007

Anything For You?

Did any of Jesus' words from the stories of the mustard seed and the yeast find their way into your head or heart?

Here's one person's feedback:

The message of this past weekend was unimpressive. I am using the word in the same manner you defined it.

It was so unimpressive that it caught my attention and I have been mulling and meandering around the mustard seed and the yeast since I left the service yesterday.

My girls and I have baked (had a small business) for years. Yeast is a very familiar entity to us. A mystery. I understand the science and theory of yeast, but I don't quite get the reality of it---the potential of transformation it contains. I am longing for God to work his yeast through me. Yeast must have the right temperature (too hot and you kill it, too cold and it won't be activated), and it must be fed (sugar, honey). My Father knows the exact measurements to produce a loaf in me.

I kept considering the germination time you spoke of--we mix our bread and then it must be left alone for at least an hour and a half. Sometimes it takes longer. I have warned the girls over and over to not bother the dough during this process. If you poke it, then you must start again. You must allow the dough to rise. Then it gets punched down and then it must be allowed to rise again.

Did God say anything to you this weekend?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was out of town this weekend, but I have had several people comment on the power of the experience. The words from our baking lady are a great example of that. I love the simple examples that Jesus used to teach such powerful messages.

I was fascinated by the honest email of one who is still in his journey toward faith. I love seeing God at work.