Sunday, March 2, 2008

Constant Connection & Transformation


Is prayer really constant connection with God? Is prayer like being able to text God? Can I carry a piece of glass and remember to be in communication with God?

This might be a really different way to think about prayer but maybe that’s exactly what we need. We are talking about the need to “Imitate” Jesus in order to experience the transformation we so desperately long for. What about you? How transformed have you been in your journey with God? I’d like to make a bet. I bet you, the transformation was tied to times spent in prayer. Am I right? If you can’t say you’ve experienced any real transformation I’d also bet you’ve never taken prayer seriously as a way of “constant connection” with God. Am I right?

It’s really not that I am that smart. (I know I don’t have to convince you of this.) I think it’s a simple thing that we fail to live into. Jesus and the followers of Jesus in scripture were SERIOUS pray-ers. God showed up and did some pretty huge, miraculous, transformational things. Prayer that calls out to God and asks for His will to happen by people with open and surrendered hearts is a crazy thing. Go ahead. I DARE YOU! Start constant connection and ask for His will. When you get an idea of what that is, pray like mad for it in faith and then stand back and be amazed at what He does.

Any one have a story they’d like to share. I prayed once for six months that God would humble me. (I know that was stupid, but not really.) He answered it for 18 months with 3 tough blows to my ego and identity. That set me up for 18 months of peace and prosperity to be followed by another 2 years of extreme humbling and difficulty. Now again, I am experiencing some great peace. God, you can stop answering that prayer at least for now. The cool thing is the greatest transformation in my life came in those difficult and humbling times. Okay, enough about me.

Let’s hear your constant connection transformation stories.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Before I pick up my Bible to read/study, I ask that I be able to hear the message God has for me. Lately, I am finding there is always at least 1 verse or illustration that speaks DIRECTLY to the experiences I am going through in my daily life.

I also have recently been asking God to remove lustful feelings from my heart. I felt God was already working on me before I asked for help becuase for the first time, I was able to identify the feelings and realize that they were not acceptable. It was like an invitation from God to make a positive change in my life. I prayed each day for these feelings to be removed from my heart and they have been!!!

After a stressful week, I was driving home from work last Friday and decided to think about prayer. When I realized that everything I had asked God for he had provided me I was amazed. Me...a girl full of sin, full of questions, and often full of doubts. God loves ALL of us as much as he loves me.

If you take time to silence yourself and listen, He really is talking to us and is working miracles in our lives EVERYDAY!!!

Anonymous said...

Prayer. Being a morning person I enjoy quiet time in the morning. This is a time when a visit to a comfortable chair let's one converse with God in earnest prayer. Now we have a dog that used to be a morning dog as well. Her mornings were not for quiet times as she is ready to go. Out that is, a dog walk perhaps. Well, often she used to compete with my quiet prayer time. A couple of years ago while I was trying to get into my ernest prayer she would not leave me alone. Nosing in, being frisky. So, I silently called out to got, "How can I pray with this dog's interuptions." Immediately she became completely still. Perhaps she sinced my frustration or ? Either way my realization was that OK, God answered me. A lesson learned from a frisky dog and God.

Now, we comptemplate this week as our dog will be put to sleep for the last time. I will not longer have a problem with quiet time for ernest prayer. So, I can revert back to this comfortable chair for morning prayer rather than being joyfully in prayer as we go for a morning walk. I may just keep the morning walk as a prayer setting rather than the chair.

Anyway, the point is that God spoke to me through our pet. What I learned is He listens and responds. Ernest prayer is living life that honors Him and is obedient.

It is good to have a friend to talk to and have as company on walks.