Sunday, January 27, 2008

The Weight/Wait Of It All



I listened today as Glen very clearly presented the offer that God has made to us.

I thought about the excuses that many of us make to avoid the issue. Who are we fooling?

Check out 2 Peter 3:9-10 - The Lord isn’t really being slow about his promise, as some people think. No, he is being patient for your sake. He does not want anyone to be destroyed, but wants everyone to repent. But the day of the Lord will come as unexpectedly as a thief.

It’s all been done for us! Romans 6:22-23 - But now you are free from the power of sin and have become slaves of God. Now you do those things that lead to holiness and result in eternal life. For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life through Christ Jesus our Lord.

Why do people hesitate? What was the concern that held you back, that might still hold you back?

Let’s discuss it. Some concerns are very legitimate, so put yours (old or present) out there. Maybe it will help someone else.

Griff

3 comments:

Unknown said...

What a big question. I think that for myself I struggle with a heart versus head battle. Even though in my heart I know that Jesus is with me daily, that he has answered my prayers, and shaped my life according to his plan, I sometimes find it hard to believe very concretely that I will go to heaven when I die. After all, I will still have to face judgement right? It is hard to believe without a shadow of a doubt somethiing you haven't experienced physically. Sort of like Thomas needing to see Jesus' hands to believe it was really him. So while my heart knows Jesus, I often think that the concepts of death, and life after death are really big concepts to grasp. I also think that judgement, and living an eternity in either heaven or hell are really big too. I just sometimes feel like my human brain can't even begin to process the fundamentals of it all. However, I know that Jesus walks with me daily. I know that he has held my hand and been my friend and guide. So why do I not know that Jesus will not leave me when I die? I guess my goal is to walk daily with my eyes set firmly on Jesus. If I live my life with Jesus, I can't see any reason why He would leave me when I die.

Anonymous said...

Recalling what held me back. Unintentionaly my father taught me that people who went to church were hypocrits and hypocrits were pretty low on his list. My parents had some bad experience with church and as far as I can recall did not step foot into a church until after I was married with my own family. Still, my parents encouraged me to go to church with relatives and friends. At times during these church experiences I was asked to make a decision to confess and accept Christ. Proudly, stubornly, I did not. This would have been a disappointing to my father in my mind(I did not understand this at the time). Not until I witnessed a transformation of someone close to me did I become open to exploring the truth of the Bible. In summary I could say that the teaching and behavior of others kept me from believing but also the behavior and change of another allowed me to accept and believe.

Anonymous said...

I forgot to ask a question in my last blog. Did anyone see Stephen Baldwin on Celebrity Apprentice this week. He was called a hypocrit on this show. Do you agree with this assessment? How would you rate Stephen's personal evanglism?