Friday, October 19, 2007

NO Debt Whatsoever


Some of my fondest memories come from when I was growing up. Two of the greatest influences in my life were my grandad and my grandmother. They lived on a little farm in Ensor, KY (never heard of it have you?) where they had their own garden, grew tobacco, and raised a small amount of cattle. It seemed so simple to me. I'm sure there were a lot of struggles, but as a kid, I just wasn't aware of many of them.

One of the best things I learned from them was the discipline of saving money. They built their own house with the help of neighbors and family, paid for their cars with cash, and had absolutely NO debt whatsoever. I understand that times are different now, but I learned a lot from them and how they managed their time and money.

This weekend we will look at the subject of thriftiness. What would our grandparents say about the way that we handle money - credit card debt, student loans, wants vs. needs, instant gratification, home equity lines of credit? If you get a chance, read Matthew 6:25-34 and Proverbs 22:7. If there is some financial wisdom that you remember from your grandparents or an example of their thriftiness, talk about it in the comment section.

1 comment:

Micah said...

My grandad had a good sbility to stave off instant gratification. That seems to bite people when it comes to debt. People put too much reliance in their future earnings. "yeah, I can buy this $30k vehicle. it's a modest car for a modest price" Truth is, most don't save $30k for a car, but that payment looks lightyears more manageable.